Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam General Discussion > 2.3l Quad 4 General Discussion

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
p8ntman442
Send a message via AIM to p8ntman442 who knows what wrong
Classifieds Rating 100% (2)
Make: 2.3 quad 4 w41
Model: oldsmobile
Engine: calais
False. I cap that dipstick port all the time. You will be getting oil on the motor with a filter at the TC housing. I sugggest running a hose from the port on the TC housing down below the car, so the vapors dont oil all your belts for you.

Diagnose your rough running QUAD.
http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18102

Engine specs
http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/techdata.php
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
fatchuckyd
boosted H.O. calais int.
Classifieds Rating 100% (1)
Make: 05 pontiac/98 oldsmobile
Model: sunfire/ bravada
Engine: 2.2 l61 ecotec/4.3 vortec
ok cool i just dont like the look of that lil black box thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
CalaisLG0
Make: Oldsmobile
Model: Calais
Engine: 2.3 HO
thanks everybody, I guess ill just stick with the stock setup to avoid doing anything too harmful or stupid. Im just going to try and clean mine or find a used one. ------draftin PM sent
Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
nukkinfuttz
Striking the fear of QUAD
Classifieds Rating 100% (2)
Make: Chevy
Model: Beretta GTZ
Engine: S/C 'd LGO
i took one of those plastic caps that you find on the lug nuts of some GM's, and i filled it up with RTV, then stuck it down on top of the tube on the dipstick tube that the air/oil separator drainback would normally connect to. This plugged it off so nothing would get in.

no, it will not hurt your engine. the only reason this system is on your engine is so that combustion blowby gasses dont get vented to the atmosphere without first going thru your catalytic converter. Look it up on wiki. its not there for any other reason.

now, you can do a performance mod where you install a venturi valve into your exhuast stream, and then plumb the line from it to your engines crankcase. what this will do is draw a constant vacumm on your engines crankcase, and allow the crankshaft and rotating assemble to operate in a good amount of vacumm. this allows your rings to seal up better, and provides much less aerodynamic drag on your rotating assembly. there are very positive HP gains assocaited with a setup like this. but it is illegal for road cars becuase, blowby gasses are being diverted around the pollution control devices. but really, whos gonna look. if your interested in this, look up summit racing.com and search for crankcase vacumm. it'll come up.

this performance system is different that a PCV becuase it provides a vacumm at all times. a PCV system only provides a vacumm when the engine is in vacumm, or crusing. if your engine is at WOT or even a good amount of throttle applied, then your PCV system will have near 1 atmosphere in it, and almost no vacumm being applied. so with a PCV system you do not get the same effect. neat
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 PM
90BerettaGTZ
Make: Olds
Model: Calais I-Series
Engine: The Mighty Quad 4
pan evac wont work well/at all if the exhaust uses a muffler. using that on the street with mufflers will blow out gaskets eventually. and if that doesnt happen youll be fogging for mosquitos until it does.

the only way around the oil/air sep is to use a vacuum pump aka smog pump. virtually no smog pump ever isgoing to pull enough vacuum to be of any real use so that leaves you buying $300 race pumps that need rebuilds every once in a while.

so you could spend allthat money and time chasing 5hp tops on a stock or near stock Quad4, or use the oil/air sep and be done with it.

92 GA GT Quad4 - 11:1 forged Ross pistons, Eagle rods, 226/.410 cams, W41 chip, titanium retainers, Lightweight Flywheel, Spec stage III clutch.

90 Calais I-Series - W41 Chip, 2.5" exhaust - GONE

90 Beretta GTZ - 2.5" Exhaust - timing chain broke at 144,000 miles - RIP

89 Calias S - LO car - stock - 198k miles GONE
Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
1995quad4se
la de da
Make: Pontiac
Model: Grand AM
Engine: 2.3L
so this Air/Oil separator confuses me....it hase a hose going into the timing case, one into the intake, and one into the intake mani. my biggest question is can you unplug the one in the intake when making a CAI and put either a breather filter on it or i have heard of zip tieing it and pointing it downward, will this hurt anything or do you have to have it???

Why is it called common sense when it isn't very common???
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM
90BerettaGTZ
you do not need the hose to connect to the air filter assembly. for it to work "optimally
" yes it would need to be connected. however, since those vapors are only being redirected to be burned, you can vent them to the atmosphere. this is what i have done.

my oil/air sep has the hose for the TC housing, the hose that leads to the intake for a vacuum signal, and the recirc hose vented to the atmosphere with a filter. to date, that filter has zero staining on the filter element.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM
1995quad4se
la de da
Model: Grand AM
Engine: 2.3L
thanks...i was wondering because im not sure if i will be able to drill a hole to put it in or not and iff not im just throwing a breather filter on it then tucking it down front
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM
90BerettaGTZ
just run a short length of hose off of it and put a filter on the end. easy fix.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 AM
fatchuckyd
boosted H.O. calais int.
has anyone tryed running this tube from the timing cover back to the filler neck? idk if the blow by would harm anything there but any extra oil would return to the pan
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Matt95GT
Send a message via AIM to Matt95GT Vroom.
Model: Grand Am GT
Engine: Supercharged LD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchuckyd View Post
has anyone tryed running this tube from the timing cover back to the filler neck? idk if the blow by would harm anything there but any extra oil would return to the pan
No, don't do that. You would be completely sealing it off... pressure would continue to build and build.

I'm using a catch-can w/ breather:

One side is connected to timing chain housing, other is oil filler tube. This will allow pressure/vapor from either side to exit and oil to condense in can. I drain it each oil change. Been running this setup for 5+ years.

The main reason I went this route - avoiding oil vapor from sludging up the supercharger and the complication of boost (instead of vac at all times). I would recommend sticking with the stock oil separator on any NA application. I wouldn't cut it open to clean, but should be able to rinse out stubborn sludge with a solvent.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
fatchuckyd
boosted H.O. calais int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt95GT View Post
No, don't do that. You would be completely sealing it off... pressure would continue to build and build.

I'm using a catch-can w/ breather:

One side is connected to timing chain housing, other is oil filler tube. This will allow pressure/vapor from either side to exit and oil to condense in can. I drain it each oil change. Been running this setup for 5+ years.

The main reason I went this route - avoiding oil vapor from sludging up the supercharger and the complication of boost (instead of vac at all times). I would recommend sticking with the stock oil separator on any NA application. I wouldn't cut it open to clean, but should be able to rinse out stubborn sludge with a solvent.

Were did you get that wonderful thing I'm running a turbo and don't want that build up in my intake anymore
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Matt95GT
Send a message via AIM to Matt95GT Vroom.
Model: Grand Am GT
Engine: Supercharged LD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchuckyd View Post
Were did you get that wonderful thing I'm running a turbo and don't want that build up in my intake anymore
Jegs.com ...pretty sure the manufacturer goes by the name of "Jaz"