Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam General Discussion > 2.4l Twin Cam General Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Edgecrusher
Make: 1997
Model: Sunfire SE
Engine: 2.4L Twin Cam
Edge's TC buggy motor project journal

Just thought I'd update my slow progress getting this old crusty motor cleaned up for my VW buggy conversion in case anybody was interested.
started with this 2.4L Twin Cam out of a 95' Sunfire GT that wasn't original to the car. All I really know so far about the motor is it's a '96 or newer TC.

I stripped everything off short of the heads. Spent what seems like an eternity in this Michigan winter soaking, scrubbing and sandblasting each and every part. Anywhere oil could sit and build up gunk was cleaned especially the bottom of the oil pan. Since this thing was so nasty I didn't want to take any chances of there being some chunk of metal sitting in the bottom waiting to be recirculated. Then I painted using Duplicolor high heat paints; an assortment of clear, chevy orange, and iron cast coat colors.

All I've done is clean up a stock 2.4TC and paint it up replacing gaskets in the process. The engine had 1/4" of sludge covering the entire thing - I really should've looked for a better donor motor. The intake and the head ports had so much wet carbon in them it's ridiculous. Regardless, I don't have the funds to do a complete tear down ATM so we'll see how it goes once it's running. The main goal is to get the thing shoehorned into my woods buggy and have it running well this year. Engine rebuilding and performance parts can come later. I debated having the heads redone, but decided to listen to a feeling I had and just clean it where it sits and see what happens when it runs for a bit after all the crud was off. It will be real easy to pull the motor or even work on it in the frame of the buggy so waiting isn't a big deal.
So for now I took a tooth bush to it and even a sand blaster in some cases to freshen it's look up a bit. I can't have an oily POS hanging off the back of my buggy. I have 'some' standards.
So anyway, if you're interested or not I'll have some more progress pics later when I feel there's something to talk about and I'm hoping if anyone else decides to take on a project like this down the road there will be some useful info...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM
SeagreenZ24
Model: Z24
Engine: 2.4
As someone that works on a 2.4 I'll be watching for any info that I can use.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Edgecrusher
Cool don't be afraid to give your two cents too, Seagreen. I've had my daily driver since it was new in '97 but have been lucky not to have had to do much with it. Most traumatic experience was replacing the water pump some years ago which I guess is about as bad as it gets with these motors short of pulling the engine for work lol,
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Edgecrusher
Everyone here has been very generous with helping me gather the info I needed up to this point and I appreciate that!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
SeagreenZ24
You going with a Ron's header?
I have done only very basic things. I have cam covers to do and still dealing with a high load+misfire.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Edgecrusher
I'm not familiar with that header. I will have to figure something out, prolly involve slicing the flange part of my stock header and making a custom pipe to fit the back of my buggy. I won't know how it'll need to run untill the motors in there. Same thing with my coolant system.

Right now I'm having issues with my cam chain tensioner releasing. Yesterday I searched for suggestions on how to get it to extend back out but none of the suggestions worked. I push it in more and also twist and it still won't come back out. I even froze it for awhile and when that didn't work I heated it up to see if expanding the metal might release it. Still no luck.
Thinking I may have to bust out for a new one however I hear they come retracted new too. Pain in my butt.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Edgecrusher
Interesting according to Rockauto catalog they started using the barrel style after 96. So my engine is at least a '97. lol
anyone have any tips before I buy a new tensioner?

maybe the old style is better?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Edgecrusher
BTW for anyone looking to buy gaskets, for a couple of mine I didn't have a choice so ended up with a Felpro intake cam tower set and an exhaust cam tower set from Victor Rienz.

Don't buy Victor Rienz if you can help it!

Never had to deal with them before - I always bought Felpro which I thought of as kinda average. Well the gaskets from Victor weren't even flat. I'm hoping their warped state doesn't have an effect on their sealing properties or I will be doin some bitchin'!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Edgecrusher
Can anyone tell me if I install this tensioner completely retracted, leave the cover off, fill back up with oil, and hook up the starter to spin the motor over and build up oil pressure, will I be able to get that plunger to extend?

That's a lot of work to find out it won't work. From my research replacement assemblies aren't any more reliable than what I have.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Edgecrusher
Ok. Miraculously, I did what the instructions said about poking at the tensioner with a screwdriver while mounted and it worked! WHo woulda thunk it?

Anyway, I got some more progress despite dealing with a medical condition called thoracic outlet syndrome which took me out completely yesterday.

I cut out some plates out of thick aluminum plate. One for where the power steering pump used to mount on the cam tower and the other for the water outlet. I haven't decided exactly how I will plumb the water outlet so for now there's no hole in it.
I mounted the alternator and idler pulley. I was going to keep the air compressor on and convert it into an air compressor for airing tires up on the trail, but decided that may be a project better accomplished later. However, I will need to find out what belt to use without the A/C pump. With my luck engines without had an entirely different pulley system than what I've ended up with.

Here's some new pics:

Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Edgecrusher
So mocked up the intake to see how it would look and noticed something new. This engine came with an older intake(I assume from the original '95 motor) and this older intake does not have a provision for the EGR hole coming out of the head. It just stops short.

Im just wondering what some of you guys who know better would do about this?
My first thought was to just make a block off plate for it. But then I was thinking maybe I better not.??? Will I see a difference in performance between this intake and the injection molded intake that was deigned for the LD9 head. Does the LD9 Computer have anything to do with the EGR system because I don't remember seeing anything that would monitor it, just a passage from one side to the other. Is that true?

Some suggestions please.

some pics

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Edgecrusher
After sippin a beer and checking out how the belt is going to have to run last night, I realize the tensioner will not work unless I put the compressor back on...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM
SeagreenZ24
AC delete pulley?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Edgecrusher
Is that^ an actual thing or what?lol

nevermind just looked it up. I think I might be able to run without the added expense. We'll see...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
SeagreenZ24
Made out of gold is my guess.