Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam Problems > 2.3l Quad 4 Problems

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 AM
befarrer
Send a message via MSN to befarrer ID10T Error
Make: 1986 Pontiac
Model: Fiero 2M4 Coupe
Engine: 1991 Quad 4 H.O.
Fuel pressure regulator problem?

Has anybody had a problem of their fuel pressure regulator sticking? I think mine is sticking, or at least slow.

I noticed one day that my fuel pump (which is between the seats under the console on a Fiero, therefore easy to hear), was 2X louder than normal when I pulled into the A&W, I turned the engine off, then turned the ignition back on, and the pump was still noisy. I went in, had a burger, and when I came back out, it was still noisy. It drove fine and everything, but I noticed that the pump didnt change note like it usually does. Usually the pump goes quiet on deceleration, and gets louder as load increases which is normal from what I know, but this time it was the same noise, didnt get louder or quieter even while decelerating from 4000RPM in gear. I parked it, and the next day, the pump was quiet again, but I only drove it around the block to park infront of my house, that was 6 days ago. I drove it again today, and it worked fine, but I did notice that it takes awhile for the pump to go quiet after I let my foot off the gas when in gear, and again takes awhile to get noisy when I accelerate from a decel mode, by awhile, I mean like 5 seconds.

Is this normal, or is my fuel pressure regulator sticking? I assumed the fuel pump was noisy that one day because the regulator was stuck in a position that made my pump put out max pressure. No fuel comes out of the vac hole, but when I was sucking on the vac port on the regulator with the engine off, it did smell alittle like fuel.

I am going to replace it with another one I have laying around. Oh BTW, I have the newer style regulator with the vac port coming out the top, not the side.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Mantapart Built
Send a message via AIM to Mantapart Built Send a message via MSN to Mantapart Built Send a message via Yahoo to Mantapart Built Registered User
Make: 1995 Pontiac
Model: Grand Am Se
Engine: 2.3L Quad 4
I know this is old. Real old. But this sounds like my problem except for my car has trouble starting as well. Did this take care of the noisy fuel pump?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM
befarrer
Send a message via MSN to befarrer ID10T Error
Make: 1986 Pontiac
Model: Fiero 2M4 Coupe
Engine: 1991 Quad 4 H.O.
No, I found out I may have the wrong fuel pump installed, due to a listing error in the computer.