Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam Performance > 2.4l Twin Cam Performance

Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Dynoray
Make: Sunfire
Model: GT
Engine: 2.4l
Sunfire GT 2.4l Performance parts???

Hi Guys, I'm looking at building a little project car, my 2 oldest boys are 13 and 9 and I want to start building a street/drag car with them.
I own a power sports race shop and we build a lot of 1 liter 225HP N/A, 350HP Turbo street type engine's and 550+HP race 1L engines. I used to build stock car, drag car, off shore boat ect engines but when it comes to 4 cylinder car performance I have no idea where to look for fuel control ect.
Hard parts are a none issue as we will design our own cams, pistons, heads ect but are there any good electronics available??
By the way, I'm thinking of starting with an old 97 Sunfire GT. My brother in law has one for sale that has a body kit, lowered ect, very decent car with a bad motor so I can get it very cheap.
Is the Sunfire a decent place to start? We are not looking for anything radical, just a fairly mild 300-350HP for now.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
slayer220079
Make: pontiac
Model: grand am BE
Engine: 2.3L quad 4 sohc
the sunfire is a good place to start you say you just want to drag then it will be fine good weight distribution if you ever want to road race though. we have a 99 sunfire gt w/ 2.4L but its had the head changed to an older HO head from a quad four and has a log style intake and it goes rlly nicly the conversion is tricky though after that you can bolt on an s/c or turbo no prob and change pistons and conetion rods and stuff owers has no turbo or anything but we know it has the ehad changed and suspect that the pistons have been swapped for lighterweight ones. not sure on that though cause it was a previous owner that did it. but it goes fast and add some form of boost and an intercooler and daaaammmmnnn

cause the sunfire would have the same engine as any other gm its age that is a 4 cyl. 2.4L
rules of the road: 1.always take corners at the maximum posable speed 2.if your at front of line at red light and there are two lanes make sure you dont let the guy beside you get ahead but don't go harder than you must 3. ice/snow on road=fun + chance to show off and laugh at idiots with low slung cars that get stuck reely eazily in snow your car gets through no problem
Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
DOHC_tuner
Make: OLDS,CHEVY
Model: Alero GX, Beretta GTZ
Engine: Hybrid LD9, Quad 4 LG0
Learn about the Quad 4 2.3L engine and you'll know what to do with your LD9
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
nukkinfuttz
Striking the fear of QUAD
Classifieds Rating 100% (2)
Make: Chevy
Model: Beretta GTZ
Engine: S/C 'd LGO
check out a program called HPTuners for software to program your factory computer.
If you want something more "race" oriented, check out a unit called "MegaSquirt". www.megamanual.com
Holset HX-35 7 Blade Twin Scroll.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
bear8ruf
Send a message via AIM to bear8ruf Send a message via Yahoo to bear8ruf Registered User
Make: 1995 Saturn
Model: SL2
Engine: LL0 stick
Quote:
Hard parts are a none issue as we will design our own cams, pistons, heads ect
What? Design your own modified stock units? Or build custom ones?? I think a few guys around here may be interested if you do custom stuff.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Wizard117
Make: Pontiac
Model: Sunfire GT
Engine: 2.3L
www.j-body.org and www.j-body.com
you need to find out anything about a cav/fire look there. thats where i started but my motor was not a 2.4 or a eco so they were no help for my motor.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 AM
urweak
Send a message via AIM to urweak Moderator
Make: Pontiac
Model: Grand AM
Engine: 2.4L 5spd
your goal can be had very easily. A decently sized turbo with minor internal (just pistons and rods) work will get you to 300hp no problem. HPT is the way to go, or a full on stand alone, but for the little amount of power you want to make HPT should suit you just fine. The only thing you will need to make yourself is a turbo manifold and the charge pipes, everything else can be had from verious aftermarket companies.

"I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself."
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Dynoray
Thanks guys

Thanks guys,
With the HPTuner, how much adjustability does it give with the stk fuel system, without changing fuel pressure or injectors?
What are the stk injectors? If they are 52-55lb/hr or more will the HPtune let us run them at 80-90% duty cycle?
We don't plan to Turbo this one, we want to build it N/A to 300-350HP. If my boys really injoy the build (which I'm sure they will) we'll probably build another F/I but a bit more radical like 700-800HP.

Bear, we'll build what ever we need to but probably won't get into mass production, but we could make some extra parts if someone wanted. We build motorcycles, Snowmobile and ATV engines as well as design and sell custom engine kits for the above.
I will give anyone any info they want on this project once we get testing.

Here is a picture of what we normally build. This is a 997cc 4 stroke making 223HP N/A does the 1/8 mile on ice in 5.9 @ 112mph and weighs over 800lbs with me on it.
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
RX-1.JPG  
Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
slayer220079
damn man that must be a nice shop you got. im sooo jelous i mean i have access to a machine shop with alot of nice equipment including a couple cnc but i gotta drive across town to get there (bout 1/2 hour) and i dont have the know how to build my own stuff unless its something simple like a manifold or something
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Dynoray
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer220079 View Post
damn man that must be a nice shop you got. im sooo jelous i mean i have access to a machine shop with alot of nice equipment including a couple cnc but i gotta drive across town to get there (bout 1/2 hour) and i dont have the know how to build my own stuff unless its something simple like a manifold or something
I guess I should rephrase my statement. We don't actually build most of the components that we use/sell. We do the engineering/design/prototyping and testing and then have the best companies we can find make the actual production parts for us.
ie: JE pistons makes all of our custom pistons, Web cam makes all our custom cams ect.
It's just not feasible for us to make all the components when you have companies like the above that can them exactly as designed every time, more economically then we could ever do in house.
Even when it comes to tubular parts like intakes, headers ect. We build the prototypes and do the testing but when it come to production it's far cheaper to have them built by companies that specialize in tubular structures.

Well I'm going to pick up the Sunfire tomorrow, hopefully we'll have time in the next few weeks to get started. Looks like this will be the first of 3 builds in the next 2 years. Now my wife wants a race car too and my oldest son will be able to race one himself in a little over 2 years.
Ray
Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 AM
LAFNGAS
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cavalier Z24
Engine: 2.4 Supercharged
stock fuel injectors are 252 cc and not even close to being enough for 300-350 hp, ford green tops would work for that power but even going to a 550cc injector might be better as you can always take fuel away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynoray View Post
Thanks guys,
With the HPTuner, how much adjustability does it give with the stk fuel system, without changing fuel pressure or injectors?
What are the stk injectors? If they are 52-55lb/hr or more will the HPtune let us run them at 80-90% duty cycle?
We don't plan to Turbo this one, we want to build it N/A to 300-350HP. If my boys really injoy the build (which I'm sure they will) we'll probably build another F/I but a bit more radical like 700-800HP.

Bear, we'll build what ever we need to but probably won't get into mass production, but we could make some extra parts if someone wanted. We build motorcycles, Snowmobile and ATV engines as well as design and sell custom engine kits for the above.
I will give anyone any info they want on this project once we get testing.

Here is a picture of what we normally build. This is a 997cc 4 stroke making 223HP N/A does the 1/8 mile on ice in 5.9 @ 112mph and weighs over 800lbs with me on it.
Ray
Old 03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
slayer220079
sounds like fun wish wish i had the cash rihgt now but as it is i got to wait till the summer when im makin some money