Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam Performance > 2.4l Twin Cam Performance

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Make: Pontiac
Model: Grand Am
Engine: 2.4 LD9
LD9 performance bolt-ons

Ok, so I have decided to start some light engine mods to boost the power a bit. Spent enough cash on appearance and now its time to put some power to back up the looks.

What I am looking for is some relatively cheap, up to ~300$ per upgrade, bolt-on performance parts for my 01 Grand Am 2.4L LD9 engine.

I am thinking
- secret cam swap
- larger 55mm - 57mm throttle body (think this is the larger size Id want)
- log style 2.3 manifold
- full exhaust (know a guy with a mandrel pipe bender who can help me do it)
I also have a WAI right now but plan on installing a custom CAI to fit.

Now, I am just wondering if the cams will swap right in without head modification (I think they will) or any other mods. After that, Id like to add the log style manifold with a larger throttle body and Im hoping they will also bolt up without any porting.

Anyways Im just looking for some clarification that all this stuff will bolt up and doesnt require additional modifications to the engine. I dont want to have to change a bunch of things to install 1 mod (A. want to minimize cash-flow and B. Park in a dimly lit parking garage with no power outlets or anything).

Appreciate comments, advice, suggestions and other bolt on mods to compliment these.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
randizzle
Model: 93 Grand Am GT
Engine: Quad 4 HO
the cams will swap right in, but it's not just an easy bolt-on. it's a pretty involved install with almost no room to work with when tearing down and putting back together. it is recommended that you get new lifters with the cams, but not absolutely necessary. the manifold and throttle body will need to be modified. i've never done the swap myself, so i don't know it very well, but it does need modifications.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Ok, new lifters depends on...? My car has 75,000 kms, (45,000 miles).

And for the TB and mani, modified as in ported? Anybody here done the swap got any further info?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM
WoR
Make: Nissan/Datsun
Model: 280ZX Turbo W/ mopar 318
Engine: 318
The 2.3 manifold will not directly bolt up to the 2.4 mani, you have to modify it to fit.

Read this HO Manifold Swap Guide - A Community for the GM Quad 4 and Twin Cam Engines

1983 280ZX w/ 318 & 727
1997 Town & Country Grocery Getter

Last edited by WoR; 02-25-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Ok, thanks alot, good info. If I understand correct, no porting is necessary, simply get the 2.3 intake mani and throttle body, a bit of drilling, and should bolt right up? Sounds pretty straight forward, Im going to print out that list of cars with the 2.3 ho given in that thread, and take it to the junkyard with me this week, see what I can find. Does anybody know if there is a list of cars with the secret cams, I know a few but a full list?

BTW, I read the how-to on that too

Last edited by Nick_Wa; 02-25-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
WoR
Make: Nissan/Datsun
Model: 280ZX Turbo W/ mopar 318
Engine: 318
The ports are different, it would be best to try and match them up, but i've never tried it so idk.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
bear8ruf
Send a message via AIM to bear8ruf Send a message via Yahoo to bear8ruf Registered User
Make: 1995 Saturn
Model: SL2
Engine: LL0 stick
There is an adapter available to fit the 2.3 manifold to 2.4 head. CUSTOMZ24CONV@aol.com was selling them for $72 with the stud kit.

My personal experience is the HO manifold is not worthwhile NA. Especially not if you have an auto, as the low end and midrange both suffered.

CAI vs. "WAI" (aka short ram) you will not notice a performance difference, but it may sound cooler.

Secret cam swap will make you happy! Especially with exhaust and bigger TB. A header is also a good idea.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Ok so secret cams will swap in no problem with no mods.. correct?

And using say the quad 4 56mm TB, will it bolt up to the stock ld9 intake manifold and the ho manifold or will porting be necessary, if the bolt holes dont line up, that can be fixed easily, just worried about having to get it ported.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
bear8ruf
Send a message via AIM to bear8ruf Send a message via Yahoo to bear8ruf Registered User
No need to port for the TB. You will lose your cruise control though.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Ok, zppr has one that has the extra arm to retain cruise control, that is what I need to find! Ok, so I will definatly find some secret cams and the quad4 56mm throttle body. Now just to decide on the intake mani, its looks great for dressing up the engine bay a bit but I dont want it if it is goin to cost hp or tq.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
bear8ruf
Quote:
Now just to decide on the intake mani, its looks great for dressing up the engine bay a bit
After trying the HO manifold, I sanded my stocker, primed it and painted it. It now looks like shiny brushed aluminum. I'd post a pic for all to see, but my bay is pretty dirty.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM
My2.3HO
Send a message via Yahoo to My2.3HO WHORE EXTRAORDINAIRE!
Model: GAGT
Engine: 2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Wa View Post
Ok, zppr has one that has the extra arm to retain cruise control, that is what I need to find! Ok, so I will definatly find some secret cams and the quad4 56mm throttle body. Now just to decide on the intake mani, its looks great for dressing up the engine bay a bit but I dont want it if it is goin to cost hp or tq.
2.3 manifold install:

-7HP
-10 lbs torque

The loss is constant through the entire rpm range. Leave it for people who don't have friends like us.

Nukkinfuttz-
Only a bonified f#cking moron would recommend to delete this.

And that’s about 10 car lengths and beat him bad! 16.87 for the white SS at about 84.28…slowwww.”

"I do speed when I drive if that matters."

zppr17j
...guys don't call cars "baby girl" we call girls we F#ck baby girl
Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Well that about settles it, so unless your boostin, your losing power? ive seen quite a few bays sportin the intakes on here, not good if losing power. Anyways I guess Ill look for that stuff now, cams and throttle body, and then full exhaust in the spring/summer.

And my2.3HO, that is an impressive amount of GM products that you own haha.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM
My2.3HO
Send a message via Yahoo to My2.3HO WHORE EXTRAORDINAIRE!
Model: GAGT
Engine: 2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Wa View Post
Well that about settles it, so unless your boostin, your losing power? ive seen quite a few bays sportin the intakes on here, not good if losing power. Anyways I guess Ill look for that stuff now, cams and throttle body, and then full exhaust in the spring/summer.

And my2.3HO, that is an impressive amount of GM products that you own haha.
Thank you.

If you want some simple bolt on ideas (till summer hits and you can get some room to work), try a CAI, TB, urethane motor mount insert and lower dogbone and w41 style crank pulley. Very nice gains. An aluminum flywheel should also be on your wish list.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Nick_Wa
...loves Grand Ams
Ok, I will have to find some research on that stuff, Im familiar with all the engine parts, just not on specific models' yet. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I can find a 2.3 ho or ***W41*** at the junkyard this week, that would be very convienient.