Go Back   The Quad4Forums > Engine Specific Discussion > Quad 4/Twin Cam Problems > 2.4l Twin Cam Problems

Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
mbzilo
Make: Pontiac
Model: Grand Am
Engine: 2.4L 4cyl
Crankshaft Position sensor mystery

'97 Grand Am 2.4L. No spark...at all.

Tried a lot of things, now trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor, except...I can't find it! Some web posts seem to indicate it's by the oil filter, I don't see it.

I see what I think is the CP sensor on the backside of the engine, but the sensor they sold me at AZone is different (smaller, see below).

Two images

#1 is what I think is the CPS in my GA looks like.

#2 is what the sensor AZ sold me looks like.

Help!!
Attached Thumbnails
STD_crank_shaft_sensor.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by mbzilo; 04-15-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: images
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
sdaukes
Send a message via MSN to sdaukes Send a message via Yahoo to sdaukes Registered User
Make: Chevy / Jeep
Model: Beretta / Grand Cherrokee
Engine: 2.3 Quad 4 DOHC SC In Progress / AMC 4.0 I6
not sure about 2.4 but my 2.3 is above and slightly to the right of the oil filter
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
bear8ruf
Send a message via AIM to bear8ruf Send a message via Yahoo to bear8ruf Registered User
Make: 1995 Saturn
Model: SL2
Engine: LL0 stick
It may be slightly obscured by your starter, but it is on the front of the block.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
kirkwood158
Make: CHEVY , RED
Model: cavalier Z24
Engine: 2.4L REBUILT 2-08
remove oil filter and you can see just the bolt up side It does require some pullin to get that bugger out. sometimes just a short steady jerk in and out several times works
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
krazeefewl
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cavalier Z24
Engine: 2.4L Twin Cam
The folks at AZ sold you the right sensor, i just replaced this sensor about a month ago because of a CPS malfunction code kept going off. It is as bear says kinda hidden by the starter its easier to view from underneath the vehicle, i'd use a 8mm 6pt socket not sure how tight the space is on the GA but on the Z24 i need to use a u-joint to get the right angle on the bolt, and had to use some force to get the bolt loose. spray with WD-40 as it'll prolly take some time to soak and get it out of the block, took me about an hour of twisting it back and forth to get the bastard out.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
mbzilo
Make: Pontiac
Model: Grand Am
Engine: 2.4L 4cyl
Found it!!

Thanx for the replies. It was in there, by the starter, just like everyone said. Well hidden, but there.

I had to drop the starter to get at it. And, as one of the posters pointed out, with the tight space, it was a b*tch to wiggle it out.

Anyway, put the new one in. On the third crank, it started right up and purred like a kitten. I thought, yeah, I'm the man! Shut it off, buttoned everything up, intending on taking it for a spin to knock the rust off...now it won't start again...crap! Sounds like the same thing, turns over but doesn't catch.

I'm thinking I might have a bad connection somewhere, maybe a ground, maybe not. This all started when the weather turned cold last year. I can see some of the grounding lugs look pretty corroded. I'm going to work on these, but anyone have any more advice on connections which might be worth looking at for a no spark issue?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
draftinwitjr381
Well consider yourself very lucky, as on the 2.3L, if it was the original, they break off, making it impossible to get out..........
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
tommyd
wiggle the connector thats hokked up to the sensor it may be loose inside of it and not making a good connection all the time.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
misnblu
It lives
Model: Cavalier
Engine: 2.4 LD9
Replacement of the crankshaft position sensor requires a CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Error) learn.
If not you're likely to see DTC P1336 (CASE LEARN REQUIRED) DTC P0300 (misfire) and likely other codes related to the crank sensor and misfires. You may detect false misfires, or the car is most likely to start to misfire.
See if this is not your problem with it not running and if so, you may have to make a visit to the stealership.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 AM
bear8ruf
Send a message via AIM to bear8ruf Send a message via Yahoo to bear8ruf Registered User
Make: 1995 Saturn
Model: SL2
Engine: LL0 stick
I am not aware of a crank relearn on the LD9.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
misnblu
It lives
Model: Cavalier
Engine: 2.4 LD9
When you perform a CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Error) learn the PCM records the *exact* relationship between the crank teeth and the crank angle sensor - for the current crank/sensor configuration.
It uses that information to detect the small acceleration of the crankshaft at the instant of each firing event. If a firing event does not occur the PCM will not detect the small crank acceleration and will log a misfire.

When the PCM "learns" the crank position sensor error, it writes the learned information to non-volatile memory.
In a new PCM, that memory is blank and it will throw a code immediately indicating that a crank relearn is required.

If you swap your PCM for a PCM that is not new, i.e. one that has already had a relearn done - probably for a different engine, then the PCM does not "know" that the learned information is incorrect for the current engine. Hence it will not log a code to indicate that a relearn is needed.

If you change any part of your engine that effects the relative positioning of the crank to the crank sensor then the learned information will probably no longer be correct. And still the PCM will not know that a relearn is needed.

If the learned information is not correct, the PCM may not be able to detect valid misfires and/or may detect false misfires. P0300 codes will result in this situation.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
krazeefewl
Model: Cavalier Z24
Engine: 2.4L Twin Cam
There is a relearn procedure for the CPS, i haven't done it since i replaced mine and haven't had any codes thrown until recently (3months after replacement) now everyweek i'll get a multiple misfire code, and something about a catalyst out of threshold or something like that, i have no idea what it means; but thats whats happening. so i would recommend getting the relearn procedure done unless you like looking at the engine light